Photo

Does Dr. Irene ever check this community?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Caitlin

Caitlin

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

This is random and mod me if necessary, but I am amazed at what a great and successful community we have here. I have been to other verbal abuse sites that were perhaps larger that consisted mostly of negative ranting about ex husbands and how horrible judges are. Not that we don't have our fair share of ranting here, but it is so much more positive and constructive.

We actually engage in topics about general ideas and philosophies as well as provide emotional support for people's personal lives. There is so much great feedback, insight, and compassion here. It has been an invaluable part of my life. I actually tell my friends about these boards and bounce ideas that I read here off of them. I continue the discussions we have here into my real life. They have depth, and meaning, and sincerity. I don't know if it just happened by magic, or what.

I don't know where I would be without these forums, and I mean that with the utmost sincerity. The articles Dr. Irene provides are also amazing as well and contribute to our discussions often. I just wonder if she is aware how amazingly successful the community she started here actually is.

#2 Kokoca

Kokoca

Catlet

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

You'll see posts from Dr. Irene every once in awhile but it would be interesting to know how often she's looking over our shoulders. I, too, have shared both the main site and the forum with others who I thought might benefit from it.

I really appreciate what she's built too. :)

#3 posso

posso

Fat Cat

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

I don't really know how regularly Doc reads forum posts, but she certainly does check things in the forums, leaving day-to-day presence to admins.

She always responds quickly if one of us calls her attention to any particular thing that comes up with the site. In addition to her real-life practice and the policy kinds of discussions that she occasionally has with this site's admins, she always has to be the one to dig into the more intractable problems with the technical functions of the site, which tends to mean she forwards a problem to the software vendor. Before going to the vendor, though, she and the rest of us will try to solve whatever comes up, which can be time-consuming whether our efforts solve it or she ends up sending it to the vendor.

Recognizing the benefits available from the ability to anonymously access online resources and to discuss the issues of abuse, Doc set up this site in the 1990's and was very hands-on for years. As the policies and site resources were developed, it became possible for her to spend less time on the site. It finally matured into a place that runs itself to a great degree, with discussion among members, light moderation by admins and the body of information on the main site, DrIrene.com , being available to anyone who comes here. Some people benefit from the site who never register, or just read for months or years before registering and participating in discussion. Also, a lot of people have come here, gotten out of the abusive situation that brought them here, and moved on. These people also come back just to scan what's currently discussed on the site, and may or may not pop in with a comment or post a topic.

The people who come here, and with the site's resources find it possible to help each other and develop their own solutions, are the on-going legacy of Dr. Irene's site and its part of her career.

#4 DrIrene

DrIrene

Dr Irene

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi Guys,

Posso is right. While I browse the forums from time to time and take care of the backroom stuff, I'm not here much unless alerted to a thread by one of you guys or the wonderful admins.

I don't see it as my job to be here to provide answers. I do want to provide a forum for discussion, and a website with good content albeit having been written some time ago. For those wanting individual consultation, there are options on the main site.

We've evolved into a mature forum where members can air issues and get peer feedback. This has always been my intent.

The admins have been instrumental in keeping this forum small and relatively free of emotional rant that's just for the sake of rant. I can honestly say we wouldn't be here without them.

I hope you all feel comfortable in dropping me an email with a forum content concern!

Sending you guys big, fat hugs!

Dr. Irene

#5 Coconut_007

Coconut_007

Kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Posso,
I am just one of those who read hear for years before becoming a member. I have benefited from this site in ways I could never express. I am currently working through divorce from my verbally and emotionally abusive H and I believe that this site has also given me the courage to pursue a new career. I am in the practicum stage of my Master's Degree in Professional counseling. I am almost done. :) This site has been so supportive and knowledgeable about so many topics. The strength I have gained by belonging to this community is very empowering.

Thanks to all!!!!

Coconut_007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users