11 replies to this topic

#1 catshy

catshy

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

Has anyone read Beth Moore's book,'Get Out of That Pit' I think Beth experienced abuse... a boyfriend maybe? It speaks to different kinds of pits but it sure sounds like she knows our stories.

Any other book or bible study really speak to you as a survivor of abuse?

#2 ktc

ktc

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Has anyone read Beth Moore's book,'Get Out of That Pit' I think Beth experienced abuse... a boyfriend maybe? It speaks to different kinds of pits but it sure sounds like she knows our stories.

Any other book or bible study really speak to you as a survivor of abuse?

I have that book, love Beth Moore. Only got about a quarter through it. Not because it was bad or anything just too much on my plate and no time to finish. She did experience a rough period in her life but she never gives specific detail. It was either abuse, or addiction or both. Not sure. Its a good book, I don't know if it specificially speaks about abuse. Her bible study Breaking Free is very good.

#3 michigan_mom

michigan_mom

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:18 AM

I am familiar with Beth Moore, but haven't read it.
my favorites: ITS MY LIFE NOW, BUT HE NEVER HIT ME, a workbook SURVIVING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
I return to those all the time.
even after being out 5 years, still struggle with some things. These books help me to overcome some of those negative thoughts that keep coming back to haunt!

#4 ktc

ktc

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

my favorites: ITS MY LIFE NOW, BUT HE NEVER HIT ME, a workbook SURVIVING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

Do you know who wrote this one?

#5 ktc

ktc

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Do you know who wrote this one?

Found it: Its My Life now is by Dugan and Hock and But He Never Hit Me is by Dr. Jill A Murray. They are 2 different books but look really good

#6 catshy

catshy

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

Thanks ladies... as usual coming here is a blessing. I have heard of Its My Life Now - probably means I need to look at it. And I don't think Beth has written specifically about abuse but the Pit book and her study of Psalms have really helped me.

God has used so many avenues to speak to me, I know he must speak to us all in just the way we need to hear at the time. Thank God for the people who have encouraged me with a kind word, or a hug when I was so depressed I didn't want to go on.

Do you have a story of being really depressed (maybe during the abuse) and God comforted you?

What comes to my mind is when my ex would be so awful and I would feel so alone but I would go to church (feeling defeated, helpless, lonely, scared) --brothers and sisters would hug me and smile. Other than my kids (who were little) that was the only affection I had felt in weeks. Their touch was healing for me. Words like you are a good mother, and we love you were precious to me.

#7 ktc

ktc

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

Do you have a story of being really depressed (maybe during the abuse) and God comforted you?

I do. When I was going through the real criticial hurting time of my relationship. I had stopped contact with him (my ex), he had done and said some very hurtful and disrespectful things to me. I told my pastor, who I am close, to exactly what was going on and spent several nights on the phone (with my pastor) crying. He knows my ex and knows me. I have a very very small church.

Well I was in church one Sunday and just before my pastor gets up to give the message I usually see him with his eyes closed in prayer. Well this Sunday when he was speaking he all of a sudden turns to me an said "That was for you" then he spoke some more and turned to me again and said "That was for you too."
I started crying. We have a very small church so it is impossible not to be seen. After church I asked him about it and he said he has never done that before especially in front of church. But when he was preparing to get up and give the message he felt God so clearly speaking to him a specific message. He asked God, is this for the church? And the Lord spoke to him and said no, this if for her - meaning me! The message was about how God has a purpose and a plan for us. He talked about Simeon and how when he looked at baby Jesus he knew he was special. And about Psalm 139 how God knew us even in the womb and has a plan and purpose for us. So the Lord spoke to my pastor to speak directly to me saying "I have a purpose and plan for YOU" It was one of the most intimate things I have expereinced. God saw my pain and the hurt I was in over this relationship and how much I was feeling so lost and alone. And He spoke right to me that He has a purpose for me. The God of the universe took notice and took time to itimately speak to me. It was and is the most precious thing to me. He loves us that much.

#8 faithangel50

faithangel50

Kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Beth Moroore is agood writr & her show is good to boot.

#9 catshy

catshy

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

faith, I agree... Beth is anointed to teach women... and makes you laugh... Ive seen her on TV and in her videos.

ktc that is awesome that you heard from God (a specific encouragement) through your pastor. My pastor tried to help me when I was "in". It was a small church. His wife also ministered to me... her asking me how I was (and knowing I was in pain, so I could be truthful) or giving me a hug, or just listening was such a blessing. Can you talk to your pastor's wife?

I would really like to reach out to women who don't go to church, who don't have a relationship with God. What would we do without knowledge of God's love for us? knowledge of his faithfulness? knowledge of his having a plan for us (that doesn't include abuse)?

Lord help those who are going through the pain of abuse alone....

#10 ktc

ktc

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

faith, I agree... Beth is anointed to teach women... and makes you laugh... Ive seen her on TV and in her videos.

ktc that is awesome that you heard from God (a specific encouragement) through your pastor. My pastor tried to help me when I was "in". It was a small church. His wife also ministered to me... her asking me how I was (and knowing I was in pain, so I could be truthful) or giving me a hug, or just listening was such a blessing. Can you talk to your pastor's wife?

I would really like to reach out to women who don't go to church, who don't have a relationship with God. What would we do without knowledge of God's love for us? knowledge of his faithfulness? knowledge of his having a plan for us (that doesn't include abuse)?

Lord help those who are going through the pain of abuse alone....

I have talked with my pastors wife who even experienced abuse in a previous marriage. So she knows. I can see Catshy how caring you are and the love of God shines though you. God is already using you. You have helped me here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users