Photo

Where are the older posts?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 peach_papoose

peach_papoose

As I wait I'll rise up like the eagle...

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

Can someone please help me figure out how to see the older posts? I know there used to be a way to set things somehow so you could view all posts in the past, but now I can't even find that. Ever since the board got this whole new look, I've not gotten used to it. Then again, I've only been on sporadically. Anyway, I'm only able to see posts that go back about a month. Or has there been a change so all posts older than a month are automatically deleted?

#2 Tahwandaaa

Tahwandaaa

Bee Charmer

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

When I want to find my old posts, I simply put my name in the "Search" box at the top right corner. The older posts are not deleted, but are archived ... I'm not sure how long they are kept accessible though.

DrI?

~Tah~

#3 peach_papoose

peach_papoose

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

I can't even find any of my old posts. Is the search feature not working? It didn't even list THIS thread in my search.

#4 Tahwandaaa

Tahwandaaa

Bee Charmer

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

I entered your name in the Search box and here is the result

http://www.drirene.c...arch_filter_app[forums]=1

Says there are 17 posts

ETA ... Sorry, when I clicked on the link I provided, it didn't go to the same place I was at.

What do you get when you type in your name in the Search box?

#5 Tahwandaaa

Tahwandaaa

Bee Charmer

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

click on the link I provided and in the box "Find Words" type in your name. I had 23 results pop up without using the underscore and with the underscore, 17 results are given

#6 peach_papoose

peach_papoose

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

I entered your name in the Search box and here is the result

http://www.drirene.c...arch_filter_app[forums]=1

Says there are 17 posts

ETA ... Sorry, when I clicked on the link I provided, it didn't go to the same place I was at.

What do you get when you type in your name in the Search box?

I clicked on that link and I got the following message in a pink box at the top of the search page:

"One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

But you saw 17 posts? In the sidebar next to my name it says I have 2897 posts. I am trying to find one of my old posts from a few years ago, not even sure exactly when. I used to be able to search all my old posts. How can I get to the archives you mentioned?

#7 Tahwandaaa

Tahwandaaa

Bee Charmer

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

In order to maintain a manageable website, posts are not keep indefinitely.

According to TOS:

http://www.drirene.c...orum_policy.php

General

* Posts and threads will be regularly pruned to reduce size and clutter without warning. You are responsible to regularly download material you wish to keep.

When I use the search box, I find posts of yours going back to May 2007.

When you use the Search form, if you change the option on the bottom line from Descending to Ascending, you'll see your posts listed starting from the earliest one forward, instead of from the most recent one backwards. ~Kilroy

What is the approximate date of the thread you are looking for PP?

#8 thebewilderness

thebewilderness

Cat

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

I usually go to the member list and search a members or my own posts that way because the search function seems wonky sometimes.

#9 peach_papoose

peach_papoose

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

What is the approximate date of the thread you are looking for PP?

I'll PM you about it, Tah.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

Catlet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hi peach_papoose,

All is not lost! :) There's a ton of your posts still here on the board.

In one thread in the Religion and Spirituality section they go all the way back to May of 2005 when you first joined. In the main Catbox section they go back to May of 2006.

It's true as Tahwandaaa said that a bunch of very old posts have been purged--the board is now in its TENTH year of operation--but the great bulk of posts in the main Catbox section are still there, going back to May of 2006. So by and large the only posts of yours that are no longer available are those between May of 2005 and May of 2006. Everything after that should still be there, unless it was on a thread started by another member that they later deleted themselves.

Admittedly the Search facility is complex--and in addition I've found it can be flaky at times, just as "bewilderness" said. If you get any "strange" errors the best thing to do is to try again later. The fundamental difficulty is that fetching thousands of posts at one time would overburden the system, so the Search facility is intentionally limited to delivering a maximum of 200 posts in a single request. This has always been a feature of the system--and it USED to be a serious limitation. Because what does anyone do if they do want to find ALL of their posts? They could find the first 200--eight pages at 25 posts per page--but there used to be no way of telling the system "Now give me the NEXT 200... and the 200 after that..." At least, I never found any way of doing it. There were only limited options for getting at all the other posts.

Now this latest Search facility has a more versatile option allowing people to search for posts within a specified range of dates. You can start off for instance by finding your 200 oldest posts.

1. Click on Advanced to the right of the Search field.

2. In the Search window that comes up, make sure you've got your member name typed correctly in the Find author field.

3. Where it says Search in section, make sure the button is clicked to the left of the word Forums--not Help files or anything else. When that Forums button is clicked, several additional fields come up below.

4. I generally select Display results As posts (not As a topic list), though that's up to you.

5. In the bottom line, Result sorting, the right hand field needs setting to Ascending (a-z) order (NOT Descending order) if you want to start with the oldest posts. Otherwise it will start with the most recent posts, which is probably why you didn't see any older ones.

6. Then click on Search Now and it will find your 200 oldest posts, starting with that one in May of 2005.

There are eight pages of them. If you click on Last page, it will take you to the eighth page, where the last post is dated 14 April 2007 at 01:58 AM. Now, to get the next 200, go back to the Advanced Search page. Do steps 2 through 5 as before: fill in your member name in the Find author field, select Search in section Forums, select Display results As posts if you like, and select Result sorting in Ascending (a-z) order. Then, an extra step:

6. Go to the Find by date line. In the left hand ("From") field, before the word "to," you can either type in a date and time, in this format: April 14 2007 1:59 AM (that's a minute after that last post), or you can click on the little calendar icon to the right of the field and it will give you the option to select that date and time from a little box. Check that the date and time show correctly in that "From" field. It's rather faint, but legible. If you don't care to fiddle about with the time, you can just set "April 14 2007" in that field and it will find your next 200 posts with an overlap for those occurring on April 14. For this purpose you don't need to put anything in the "To" field to the right.

7. Then click on Search Now. It will find your next 200 posts, finishing on the eighth page with one on 12 June 2007 at 03:00 PM.

After that you can do the same thing again to get the 200 posts after that, starting on June 12 2007. In this way you can eventually fetch all of your posts, nearly three thousand of them.

If you're looking selectively for posts with particular words or other material in them, you can use the Find words field in addition. Unfortunately it is not possible to enter keywords of three characters or less. That's always been a system limitation. I'm sure it's designed to reduce the processing load during searches by eliminating many small common words like "the," "her" and so on. Yes, I find it irritating too because there are lots of times we'd like to see what someone told us about their "MOM" or "DAD" or "D16"--all three-letter words! But it's only possible to search for words of four letters and above.

One other point. When we're looking at the topic list for the Catbox or any other section, we can page back to look at older topics, but by default I think it only shows topics going back 90 days. That can give posters the illusion that topics older than three months vanish into the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky. But that isn't true at all. If you go to the thick blue bar at the bottom of the topic list, it says there in quite small letters: Click here to show filter options. When you click on the blue bar, several fields appear by magic. In particular, the lower line on the left has a field reading From: 90 days or something of the kind. You can change that to say Show All. Check the box to the right marked Remember filters and click on Go. Then you can see 1097 pages of old topics (as of this writing) going all the way back to 2006.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users