5 replies to this topic

#1 MyTime2Shine

MyTime2Shine

Catlet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

Anybody know any good scripture referring to whining? Or scripture we can direct at whiners?

#2 peach_papoose

peach_papoose

As I wait I'll rise up like the eagle...

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

I have a book called For Instruction In Righteousness which has specific Scriptures for various areas of sin. I'm looking through the Table of Contents to see where whining might fall. Some that I'm thinking might apply are:

Lying/Deceit/Dishonesty
Foolish, Unclean Speech
Bitterness
Revenge
Cruelty/Bullying
Insensitivity/Lack of Compassion
Poor Manners
Teasing/Troublemaking
Defiance
Scoffer/Scorner
Arguing/Contention
Stubbornness/Self Will

Which, if any, of these would best define the whininess to which you refer? If you let me know, I'll post some verses the book recommends.

#3 MyTime2Shine

MyTime2Shine

Catlet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi Peach!

Basically I'm looking for biblical responses to my stbxh's whines, such as......

"You don't understand how hard I've been working to make money."
"I'm working so hard to pay these bills."

"I had such a terrible childhood."

"Oh my back hurts."
"Oh my neck hurts."

"So-and-so (business associate) was so mean to me today. You're just piling on after a hard day."

And my favorite whine -- after making ME sleep on couch for 8 months because HE wasn't man enough to apologize, "I feel reeeeally bad about you sleeping on the couch." (Not, "I'm sorry." or "Here honey. You have every right to be mad with me. You take the bed. I don't deserve it after how I've treated you.")

Just for the record, I am amazingly frugal. No matter how much money I save, it's never enough.

He whines to avoid any responsibility in the relationship. (Big surprise.)

TY!

#4 Mohzilla

Mohzilla

Big Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

I had a thought while reading this regarding his whining about hard work, I don't know if anyone else will see the parallel or whether it is even a valid one. I thought of:

1Cor:13 specifically vs 1-3

It speaks about doing things out of love, rather than other selfish reasons. It seems like your H is whining about not getting enough "praise" etc for the things he does, when it is supposed to be done without expectations of "repayment" or that a debt is owed. One is to do things because it is the loving thing to do rather than for personal gain.

11-12
Speaks about maturing as we age and behaving as a mature adult, rather than as a child. Childish people have childish expectations.

You could perhaps look for verses regarding gratitude as opposed to whining, because I believe that whining comes from an ungrateful heart.

I quickly googled bible: gratitude and this link came up:

http://wisdomportal....tude-Bible.html

Hope that helps!

Hugs,
Moh

#5 Mimzy

Mimzy

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

Your description is really about:

lazyness
complaining
irresponsibility
lawlessness (lack of discipline)

These ideas are superbly unpacked in the book of Proverbs.

Don't look up the words (like in a dictionary) but rather, read the entire paragraphs on the topics/concepts.

What's also happening according to your scenario, your H is avoiding "accountability" to his wife. There is a mutual submission (gasp, m-u-t-u-a-l?) taught in Ephesians. This means a relational, reciprocal submission as co-equal managers of the household/marriage.

I hope this helps.

Mimzy

#6 MyTime2Shine

MyTime2Shine

Catlet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

What's also happening according to your scenario, your H is avoiding "accountability" to his wife.

Yah think?!?!?!?

LOL! Thanks. I needed that lil' laff.

Speaking of accountability, I'm spending this whole week on duties for the business. Does he give me a salary??? Noooooo. I've done a lot for that business. Not a penny of salary. It would all go in to the same bank account and pay the same bills, but it would give me respect. Oh yeah-- and a little thing called tax deductions would be nice. (But he'd rather complain how's he's working so hard to pay taxes.)

That's for all the scriptures. Keep 'em coming.

It's a great way to respond to abuse. God said "My word will not return to Me void." Sometimes we don't know how on earth to respond to these folks. Turn up the volume on God's word. Let Him do the talking. Takes the burden off our shoulders.

Matthew 11:30
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Eeeek. He's baaaaack. Gotta scoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users