Photo

contempt, devaluing - biblical definition- does this POV help us understand why we feel terrible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PrudenceB

PrudenceB

Former Admin, PHD (Poser Hatin' Degree)

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus attempts to change people's attitude toward Moses' Law from external obedience (that is, "I haven't killed anyone today") to internal obedience (that is, "I have forgiven everyone today").

For example, Jesus says,

You have heard it said long ago, "Do not murder". . . But I say that if anyone is angry with his brother, he will be worthy of judgment. And if anyone says to his brother, "Empty-headed," he will be answerable to the Sanhedrin [the Jewish high court]. But if anyone says, "You fool," he will be in danger of the fire of hell.

-Matthew 5:21-22

Note the progression of Jesus' teaching.
  • Don't murder.
  • Don't even remain angry.
  • Furthermore, don't devalue others by considering them fools.

According to Jesus, when Moses said, "Do not murder," he didn't only mean, "Try to make it through the day without killing anyone," but he also meant, "Don't devalue others by thinking yourself superior to them or harboring anger toward them." For Jesus, devaluing others is akin to (and ultimately the source of) murder.

Jesus goes through the same process with other commands, including adultery ("If you lust over another you've already committed adultery in your heart"), oath taking ("Don't swear oaths," but "Let your yes mean yes, and your no mean no"), retaliation ("If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other as well"), and hating your enemies ("Love your enemies" and "pray for those who persecute you"). In case you weren't feeling under the pile already, Jesus concludes this part of his sermon by saying,

#2 PrudenceB

PrudenceB

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

I am not specifically posting this as a "christian" post- I do think that the fact that devaluing is defined in a thousands year old document as "murder" is very telling.

i feel personally like there could not be a better source of validation that we are not "too sensitive" at the impact of devaluation on our lives and our souls, than something written a REALLY long time ago when life was VERY hard (little water, having to work the land by hand, little food, no deoderant, etc) - and what were people still worried about? being valued or devalued?

we are NOT "too sensitive" with "too much time on our hands" in principle- this is important to all people, all over, at every point in history.

Help anyone else to feel "better"? thoughts?

#3 ktc

ktc

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

When the Word speaks of murder, it also speaks of hatred as murder. If we have hatred in our hearts, that is the same as murder. The same with lust. If we have lust in our hearts, that is the same as adultry.

ps, It is ok to see others as "fools", in fact the book of Proverbs speaks a lot about this and about not be associated with the "fool"

:) as Mr T used to say . . . ."I pity the fool"

Edited by ktc, 17 March 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#4 PrudenceB

PrudenceB

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Yup- and that is what I think is so interesting and affirming- looooong before the afternoon talk show, people were concerned about how attitudes about others impact.

This ain't new and we ain't crazy.

I have a question, are we not to abstain from CALLING someone a fool ("name calling") , but OBSERVE when someone is a fool and remove ourselves from them? Isn't part of the reason we do not confront the fool on his level (name calling) because they will not "hear" and we only look foolish?

HELP!

#5 PrudenceB

PrudenceB

• Former Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

...and have you seen the new "gentler T" commercials for O l d N a v y?

#6 PressingOn

PressingOn

Embryo

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Never reason with a fool. Call him out, to his face, and he will spit on you. Use good judgement.

#7 Coconut_007

Coconut_007

Kitten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

I needed this because just this morning STBX called my mom and me fools, because he says that people look at us like that. Because I spend time with mom and not him. During a divorce, to whom would a person turn - a parent, their family and friends?

The "fool" thing gets to me. I was raised to not call someone a "fool". It has stuck with me my whole life and I have taught my kids the same.

Thanks Pru.
Coconut_007

#8 thebewilderness

thebewilderness

Cat

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I realize that this is an emotionally loaded time for you, but there is someting quite odd about his power of knowing what everyone thinks about you from the way they look at you.
I guess having put his words in the mouths of everyone you know, to no avail, he is now extracting his thoughts from their brains and sharing them with you. I don't think that's going to work either.

#9 oneness

oneness

Little Kitty

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

I needed this because just this morning STBX called my mom and me fools, because he says that people look at us like that. Because I spend time with mom and not him. During a divorce, to whom would a person turn - a parent, their family and friends?

The "fool" thing gets to me. I was raised to not call someone a "fool". It has stuck with me my whole life and I have taught my kids the same.

Thanks Pru.
Coconut_007

That is such a wonderful way to be raised - and I think that it is great you can spend time with your family during this turbulent period in your life. My Mom calls me a fool...and worse. She is an EA/VA hypocrite! She can say such mean and hurtful things, curse at me, etc...and the next day she wants ME to apologize, then she is all sweetness and light again. Ha, no wonder I am so dysfunctional in my relationships, huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users